The Truth
This morning I managed to load up my T card (for transport), went to Myeong Dong to exchange my AUD and also bought a prepaid SIM card.
After that I returned to the hotel (got lost a bit) to change. The mission was on. I put on my suit and grabbed the presents. I initially wanted to take the subway to an area nearby, but got lost and ended up catching a taxi instead. It was only like $20-30.
The driver was nice enough to find the exact address and dropped me off there. It was like a three storey flat somewhat in shambles. I think it is safe to say she did not come from money.
I went inside the building and her door was the first one after a few steps. I could hear tv inside, and knocked. Someone yelled out but I waited until they opened the door. It was an old woman, whose face shape I thought resembled Jin's. I showed her the piece of paper I had with her address and name on it and asked if it was her. She said yes. I asked if she had a daughter called Jin, she said yes.
I told her my name and said I was Jin's boyfriend. She immediately reacted acceptingly. I asked if I could come in and she said yes. She opened the door more and made room for me to sit down on the floor. I took my shoes off and showed her some photos of Jin and I. She nodded.
I gave her the presents - the honey for her, the cowboy hat for her husband, and the key ring for her son. She accepted.
I tried talking to her but her English was absolutely non-existent. I took out my phone and used my translation app. At first she didn't seem to understand and shook her head. I wondered if she meant she could not read. But then I typed into it "Jin told me you were sick?" and she shook her head no. She only pointed to her head. I typed another message, "Jin told me you were in hospital?" and she shook her head no, in a way that it was almost a joke and funny to her.
I didn't know what to do next. She then got her phone and made a call. I asked if she was calling Jin and she said no. Moments later a young girl turned up, a bit puffed out from running. I thought she was here to translate but her English was non-existent too. I saw she was messaging and I asked if it was Jin. I looked and it didn't look like it.
I then used the app to tell her that Jin had told me her mother was sick and asked me for 50,000,000 won to help. I told her I gave Jin 25,000,000 won. She looked shocked. Then she was on the phone, and passed it onto her mother. I could hear a female voice yelling on the other end. Her mother kept saying "I understand" in Korea, and then passed the phone to me. It was Jin. She swore in Korean and said something about calling me later.
Then her mother asked me to leave. At first I thought she meant for all of us to go out, but turned out they just wanted me to leave. So I left. I asked the girl if she could talk with me and she said no. So I caught a taxi back to the hotel, where I am now.
Throughout the whole taxi ride I was in shock. I didn't know if I should cry in front of the taxi driver.
Jin just called me twice. She then sent a text message saying "Why u go to korea and my house?" I just replied "I did not tell them your job. I would not hurt your mother like that. I just wanted to know the truth. You lied the whole time. Never contact me again."
After that I returned to the hotel (got lost a bit) to change. The mission was on. I put on my suit and grabbed the presents. I initially wanted to take the subway to an area nearby, but got lost and ended up catching a taxi instead. It was only like $20-30.
The driver was nice enough to find the exact address and dropped me off there. It was like a three storey flat somewhat in shambles. I think it is safe to say she did not come from money.
I went inside the building and her door was the first one after a few steps. I could hear tv inside, and knocked. Someone yelled out but I waited until they opened the door. It was an old woman, whose face shape I thought resembled Jin's. I showed her the piece of paper I had with her address and name on it and asked if it was her. She said yes. I asked if she had a daughter called Jin, she said yes.
I told her my name and said I was Jin's boyfriend. She immediately reacted acceptingly. I asked if I could come in and she said yes. She opened the door more and made room for me to sit down on the floor. I took my shoes off and showed her some photos of Jin and I. She nodded.
I gave her the presents - the honey for her, the cowboy hat for her husband, and the key ring for her son. She accepted.
I tried talking to her but her English was absolutely non-existent. I took out my phone and used my translation app. At first she didn't seem to understand and shook her head. I wondered if she meant she could not read. But then I typed into it "Jin told me you were sick?" and she shook her head no. She only pointed to her head. I typed another message, "Jin told me you were in hospital?" and she shook her head no, in a way that it was almost a joke and funny to her.
I didn't know what to do next. She then got her phone and made a call. I asked if she was calling Jin and she said no. Moments later a young girl turned up, a bit puffed out from running. I thought she was here to translate but her English was non-existent too. I saw she was messaging and I asked if it was Jin. I looked and it didn't look like it.
I then used the app to tell her that Jin had told me her mother was sick and asked me for 50,000,000 won to help. I told her I gave Jin 25,000,000 won. She looked shocked. Then she was on the phone, and passed it onto her mother. I could hear a female voice yelling on the other end. Her mother kept saying "I understand" in Korea, and then passed the phone to me. It was Jin. She swore in Korean and said something about calling me later.
Then her mother asked me to leave. At first I thought she meant for all of us to go out, but turned out they just wanted me to leave. So I left. I asked the girl if she could talk with me and she said no. So I caught a taxi back to the hotel, where I am now.
Throughout the whole taxi ride I was in shock. I didn't know if I should cry in front of the taxi driver.
Jin just called me twice. She then sent a text message saying "Why u go to korea and my house?" I just replied "I did not tell them your job. I would not hurt your mother like that. I just wanted to know the truth. You lied the whole time. Never contact me again."

3 Comments:
Wow , what a trip . Truth hurts, I hope this was all worth it. Maybe not everything was a lie, after all you were able to find where her mom lives.
-Jjosh
Looking back, it's a pretty amazing story. Wouldn't be able to make it up if I tried.
Post a Comment
<< Home