G's birthday
On Saturday morning I met up with Nick for some ball at Central, but for me it was really just an opportunity to catch up. I got there first at 9am and started doing some dribbling drills when he arrived shortly thereafter. We seemed to immediately get into why he was looking for a new job - I feared he had already quit his job like last time, but luckily he hadn't, saying he learnt his lesson.
He said he wanted to change jobs because the people above him had no clue what they were doing, which I thought was kinda silly reason to change jobs. I'm more like the type to just keep their head down and get paid, don't rock the boat.
Also talked about his bball comp, saying he now had an injured shoulder and was recovering from that. He asked if I was interested in playing a Sunday comp with him in Alexandria, and that conversation got side tracked I think with talk about whether Bo would be on the team. Apparently Bo told him he wanted to start a team in our Chinese comp so he could charge at One and Jim (and undoubted me as well), which was not surprising at all as I know Bo is that type of person. But Nick told him to look for someone else like Mike, and he presumes Bo asked Mike and got rejected because Bo sent a message saying something about basketball being depressing.
We were just shooting around when these two guys, Aaron and Craig, asked if we wanted to play two on two, so we did. I felt like my lungs still weren't at full capacity and got tired rather quickly. After that game we played three teams of four on four with some other guys.
After bball Nick and I went to grab some lunch at a pub nearby, with this really cute Thai girl serving the bar. I told him about getting back with Erica, and said I had to decide whether I liked my money more or her more. He said if I had to ask that then the answer was obvious. I agree. I wasn't really sure which way he wanted me to go, but he didn't approve when I said she wanted to go to Bali at my expense.
He also talked about his new girlfriend, and how different she was to his ex. He seemed really happy talking about her. I noticed he even bought a take away meal, presumably for her.
I had to be conscious of the time as I had to go to G's birthday party, so we parted at about 1pm, which was cutting it a bit thin for me as the party was at 2pm.
I caught the bus home and had a shower. I had left my phone at home to charge, and saw Malay had called me twice and messaged me. Brain merely messaged me on facebook, rather late, asking if I was driving. Two things annoyed me: 1) why did he leave it so late to ask me; and 2) why should I drive when he has his own car now? He said he didn't want the hassle of parking in the city.
WELL WELCOME TO OUR FUCKING WORLD!!!
Anyway, I picked Malay up, gave him two collectable glasses I got from Macca's and we went to the newsagency to get a bag to put G's present in. He paid for it even though I offered, which was nice.
When we got there it was a bit awkward, as when we were walking through the car park Bob drove up and said hi to Malay. To be honest for me the beef is over, but I just don't want to make the first move. Thai arrived at the same time as well, and we all lined up to sign in. I swear the chick doing the signing in was so hot, but I could just tell she would never go for an Asian guy like me.
After we signed in, Michael L came up to us with a big bowl of wedges. I saw a guy carrying this enormous dish of various fried foods and really wanted that, but G said he had vouchers for fish and chips, so I was like, aight, get fish and chips then.
We started playing lawn bowls and were wondering where G was with the fish and chips, as it had been a while. Then Michael L asked who was going to walk over to the fence to get the fish and chips from G as he was buying it from outside.
Everyone was like "WTF!!!" and we all decided to call G to stop him, and that we'd pay for the food here to save the embarassment. I swear if we had gone through with that we would've given Asians such a bad name. I can't believe G would be so stingy on his own birthday to go buy food from the outside just to save a few dollars.
Turns out he had bought the fish and chips anyway, and ate some of it before returning, and then gave us the rest afterwards.
Lawn bowls was fun, more challenging than it looks. I was in the team with Malay, Thai and Brain, and the other team was G, Mike, Bobs and his girlfriend. They won by a small margin.
After that we went to karaoke, but I had to drop off Malay at home first as he needed to go to work. After parking in the city, Thai said he needed to go to the ATM, only to have his card eaten by the machine, so we waited around a bit as he called up the bank. I covered for him for the rest of the night.
At karaoke, there was Shuing and a girl I hadn't met before. I thought she was one of G's "friends", but turns out she was a friend of Bob's girlfriend. I managed to go through the 90 minutes without singing, thinking if Brain can get away with it then so can I, despite some pushing from Shuing.
After karaoke we went to a Korean restaurant for dinner, the same one Luna took the large group to last time. We got to talk to the new girl a bit more. Her name was Wai and she wasn't shy at all, asking us all about ourselves. She said she was an engineer, and I was about to mention Ash, but thought the better of it.
The really interesting part of the dinner was when Bob's girlfriend gave us a "psychology test". Basically the questions were:
1) You're walking in a park alone and you see a bowl on the ground. What does it look like? For example, are there patterns, is it chipped or perfect?
2) After that you hear a scream. Is it a man or a woman, and do you investigate?
3) After that, you approach a walk which is blocking you from proceeding any further. What do you do?
4) As you walk, you see a small rowing boat on a river. Do you get in it?
5) You arrive at a beach after having walked for ages, and it's sun rise. Do you stay awake to admire it or do you close your eyes and rest?
Apparently based on my answers, I was not ready for marriage. That made me think about Erica. Maybe she was right. Maybe I wasn't ready to commit, despite my long term assumption that I was.
The 'answers' to each are as follows:
1) The more detailed you are in describing the bowl, the more requirements you seek in your partner.
2) Can't remember.
3) Can't remember.
4) If you get in the boat, it means you're ready for commitment. If you walk away, it means you're not.
5) Can't remember.
She also gave us another scenario to determine if we were serial killers or not - an engaged couple and their good friend/colleague go on a research trip to Antarctica. There is a huge snow storm and they are running out of food. Which one survives, and why?
Apparently if you said the third wheel survives because he asked the other guy to go hunting, then killed the woman because he was in love with her and didn't want anyone else to have her, then cooked her and served her to the other guy, knowing that the other guy would commit suicide when finding out that he just ate his fiancee, then you are a serial killer.
Brian seemed to be at a loss for words when explaining his reason for why he thought the third wheel survived, saying only "because it's every man for himself". Hmmm.
We watched as the restaurant played this loud birthday music for another table, so we told them it was G's birthday and they played the music too, lol. The other table also, for some reason, came to give G a piece of cake (this was before we told the restaurant it was G's birthday).
After dinner we had ice cream at the store next door. I sat with Michael L (ugh) and Brain, so there wasn't much conversation going on there. I spent a bit of time texting Ele and sending her photos of where we were. She seemed to show some disdain for Michael L, presumably because he separated from Eva.
We also went upstairs to play the skills tester games, and I blew $15 on them, getting nothing in return. I felt that gambling adrenaline rush go through my body, and realised I had a problem with these as well.
I drove Thai and Brain home, and when driving Brain home, had a rather interesting conversation with him about whether we, as guys brought up within the Asian culture in a western environment, should spend our lives, time and money looking after our money at the expense of being independent. It was a tough question indeed. I, of course, was thinking about it in the context of moving out with Erica.
He said he wanted to change jobs because the people above him had no clue what they were doing, which I thought was kinda silly reason to change jobs. I'm more like the type to just keep their head down and get paid, don't rock the boat.
Also talked about his bball comp, saying he now had an injured shoulder and was recovering from that. He asked if I was interested in playing a Sunday comp with him in Alexandria, and that conversation got side tracked I think with talk about whether Bo would be on the team. Apparently Bo told him he wanted to start a team in our Chinese comp so he could charge at One and Jim (and undoubted me as well), which was not surprising at all as I know Bo is that type of person. But Nick told him to look for someone else like Mike, and he presumes Bo asked Mike and got rejected because Bo sent a message saying something about basketball being depressing.
We were just shooting around when these two guys, Aaron and Craig, asked if we wanted to play two on two, so we did. I felt like my lungs still weren't at full capacity and got tired rather quickly. After that game we played three teams of four on four with some other guys.
After bball Nick and I went to grab some lunch at a pub nearby, with this really cute Thai girl serving the bar. I told him about getting back with Erica, and said I had to decide whether I liked my money more or her more. He said if I had to ask that then the answer was obvious. I agree. I wasn't really sure which way he wanted me to go, but he didn't approve when I said she wanted to go to Bali at my expense.
He also talked about his new girlfriend, and how different she was to his ex. He seemed really happy talking about her. I noticed he even bought a take away meal, presumably for her.
I had to be conscious of the time as I had to go to G's birthday party, so we parted at about 1pm, which was cutting it a bit thin for me as the party was at 2pm.
I caught the bus home and had a shower. I had left my phone at home to charge, and saw Malay had called me twice and messaged me. Brain merely messaged me on facebook, rather late, asking if I was driving. Two things annoyed me: 1) why did he leave it so late to ask me; and 2) why should I drive when he has his own car now? He said he didn't want the hassle of parking in the city.
WELL WELCOME TO OUR FUCKING WORLD!!!
Anyway, I picked Malay up, gave him two collectable glasses I got from Macca's and we went to the newsagency to get a bag to put G's present in. He paid for it even though I offered, which was nice.
When we got there it was a bit awkward, as when we were walking through the car park Bob drove up and said hi to Malay. To be honest for me the beef is over, but I just don't want to make the first move. Thai arrived at the same time as well, and we all lined up to sign in. I swear the chick doing the signing in was so hot, but I could just tell she would never go for an Asian guy like me.
After we signed in, Michael L came up to us with a big bowl of wedges. I saw a guy carrying this enormous dish of various fried foods and really wanted that, but G said he had vouchers for fish and chips, so I was like, aight, get fish and chips then.
We started playing lawn bowls and were wondering where G was with the fish and chips, as it had been a while. Then Michael L asked who was going to walk over to the fence to get the fish and chips from G as he was buying it from outside.
Everyone was like "WTF!!!" and we all decided to call G to stop him, and that we'd pay for the food here to save the embarassment. I swear if we had gone through with that we would've given Asians such a bad name. I can't believe G would be so stingy on his own birthday to go buy food from the outside just to save a few dollars.
Turns out he had bought the fish and chips anyway, and ate some of it before returning, and then gave us the rest afterwards.
Lawn bowls was fun, more challenging than it looks. I was in the team with Malay, Thai and Brain, and the other team was G, Mike, Bobs and his girlfriend. They won by a small margin.
After that we went to karaoke, but I had to drop off Malay at home first as he needed to go to work. After parking in the city, Thai said he needed to go to the ATM, only to have his card eaten by the machine, so we waited around a bit as he called up the bank. I covered for him for the rest of the night.
At karaoke, there was Shuing and a girl I hadn't met before. I thought she was one of G's "friends", but turns out she was a friend of Bob's girlfriend. I managed to go through the 90 minutes without singing, thinking if Brain can get away with it then so can I, despite some pushing from Shuing.
After karaoke we went to a Korean restaurant for dinner, the same one Luna took the large group to last time. We got to talk to the new girl a bit more. Her name was Wai and she wasn't shy at all, asking us all about ourselves. She said she was an engineer, and I was about to mention Ash, but thought the better of it.
The really interesting part of the dinner was when Bob's girlfriend gave us a "psychology test". Basically the questions were:
1) You're walking in a park alone and you see a bowl on the ground. What does it look like? For example, are there patterns, is it chipped or perfect?
2) After that you hear a scream. Is it a man or a woman, and do you investigate?
3) After that, you approach a walk which is blocking you from proceeding any further. What do you do?
4) As you walk, you see a small rowing boat on a river. Do you get in it?
5) You arrive at a beach after having walked for ages, and it's sun rise. Do you stay awake to admire it or do you close your eyes and rest?
Apparently based on my answers, I was not ready for marriage. That made me think about Erica. Maybe she was right. Maybe I wasn't ready to commit, despite my long term assumption that I was.
The 'answers' to each are as follows:
1) The more detailed you are in describing the bowl, the more requirements you seek in your partner.
2) Can't remember.
3) Can't remember.
4) If you get in the boat, it means you're ready for commitment. If you walk away, it means you're not.
5) Can't remember.
She also gave us another scenario to determine if we were serial killers or not - an engaged couple and their good friend/colleague go on a research trip to Antarctica. There is a huge snow storm and they are running out of food. Which one survives, and why?
Apparently if you said the third wheel survives because he asked the other guy to go hunting, then killed the woman because he was in love with her and didn't want anyone else to have her, then cooked her and served her to the other guy, knowing that the other guy would commit suicide when finding out that he just ate his fiancee, then you are a serial killer.
Brian seemed to be at a loss for words when explaining his reason for why he thought the third wheel survived, saying only "because it's every man for himself". Hmmm.
We watched as the restaurant played this loud birthday music for another table, so we told them it was G's birthday and they played the music too, lol. The other table also, for some reason, came to give G a piece of cake (this was before we told the restaurant it was G's birthday).
After dinner we had ice cream at the store next door. I sat with Michael L (ugh) and Brain, so there wasn't much conversation going on there. I spent a bit of time texting Ele and sending her photos of where we were. She seemed to show some disdain for Michael L, presumably because he separated from Eva.
We also went upstairs to play the skills tester games, and I blew $15 on them, getting nothing in return. I felt that gambling adrenaline rush go through my body, and realised I had a problem with these as well.
I drove Thai and Brain home, and when driving Brain home, had a rather interesting conversation with him about whether we, as guys brought up within the Asian culture in a western environment, should spend our lives, time and money looking after our money at the expense of being independent. It was a tough question indeed. I, of course, was thinking about it in the context of moving out with Erica.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home