Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, August 12, 2013

Lunch with Amy / Erica

On Saturday night I got a case of midnight drunkeness, and sent Erica a message on Kakao saying "how are you?" It was read soon after but, as expected, there was no reply.

Today, I met up with Amy for lunch. As I walked to our meeting point, I wondered if I'd even recognise her. I looked across the road and saw her standing under the Citibank building. I was about to say "can't believe you made me walk all the way here after running 14km" but she beat me to it and said "I didn't know you wear glasses, were you wearing glasses that night?"

We were about to cross the road before I asked her if there was anything she didn't eat, she said no so I suggested sushi, and we turned around to go to a new sushi restaurant she pointed out. I looked at her and realised she wasn't as bad looking as I had imagined. Her personality definitely is a plus for her.

We settled into the sushi train part of the restaurant, and talked about her Korean class. She said her teacher was alright now, but still wasn't as good as Luna. She said this teacher relies heavily on textbooks and audio tapes.

We talked about Jay, Jihoon, Min and Luna. She told me about how they are struggling a bit to find work here, and that Min has gone to a farm. I laughed, and she said even Luna worked at an onion farm.

Ah yes, the woman I've deleted from my contacts.

All I could think about was how much she might be struggling, yet nevertheless refused to have lunch with me. Just made me realise even more how 'right' she would've been for me. I contrasted this to the situation where some girls chose to prostitute themselves to make money.

I asked her about herself, she's Chinese, speaks Cantonese, lives with her parents, doesn't have a driver's licence, can't drive, has been working at her place for almost three years, this is her first job out of uni, she's looking for another job, going to HK/Macau later this year, plays badminton, has bad knees because she did the wrong exercises, not much of an outdoors person.

She did ask me why I studied Korean in the first place, and I told her the truth - I had a Korean girlfriend but we broke up around week 4/5.

Even though I found myself at times defaulting to silent mode, she would come up with things to talk about, and I always found it comforting when she broke into her own little silly laugh. I could sense that we were going a bit longer than my lunch hour, but she kept talking for a while before I suggested getting the bill. I made my way to the cashier first, with the intention of splitting the bill, but she seemed kinda slow to approach so I just said I'd pay. It was only like $23 anyway. I gave a $2.50 tip, probably to impress her, and she was like "don't like shrapnel?" and I said something about it ruining my wallet. If only she knew that I normally keep even 5c to put into my piggy bank.

She showed me the 'famous laksa place' next door, and pointed her office to me. She's actually quite close to me. We talked about a pizza place near there, and she walked me halfway back to my office, before parting saying she had to go to the shopping centre to get something.

I seemed quite content with the way things went, although I was unsure whether she 'liked me' liked me, or just wanted a new friend. Some things she said which made me think the latter was how she suggested we do something with the Korean guys next time, yet when I suggested taking her to the gym to show her knee exercises she seemed quite eager. Also she mentioned wanting to work in Korea for a few years, which made me think she probably wasn't looking for a boyfriend here.

I returned to the office feeling like I didn't need Erica anymore. Yet the further I read my brief, the more I thought about Erica. Every thought seemed to relate to her. Finally, my scumbag brain caved in - at 5:30pm I sent her more messages, offering her help if she contacted me by tomorrow. At 6:30pm she replied saying "I don't believe your horse".

Am I a bad person?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home