Name:
Location: Australia

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Get ready to get burnt?

So I met up with the guys today. I went to the city early to first drop off the games I'd be returning to Thai in the office, then went to check out JB. Heaps of people. I decided to walk to Myer, but on the way there was even more people. In fact, in the QVB tunnel, it was so jam packed that traffic just stopped a few times.

I got out of there asap and decided to abandon my course. Instead, I found a place to sit in Darling Harbour, just playing games on my mobile and waiting for a reply from Erica. After sending her an emoticon early in the morning, she replied with a 'cold' emoticon. I asked if she was cold, and she said she was. She said she was going to have a happy day today, and when I asked why, she said no, and that she was tired. Poor translation I guess. I asked her if she was working today, and that was the reply I was waiting for. No reply for about two hours.

Anyway, met with Thai first, then Brain and Shuing shortly after. We went to Gloria Jeans near Central and sat down for a drink. I was bracing myself for questions, but it never really came. I guess I was partly relieved, and partly disappointed. Instead, we talked about the usual stuff like catching up and various other topics like G, money, life, and Shuing's new phone.

Anyway, I suggested that we go get Shuing a screen cover for his new phone, so we headed off when we finished our drinks. On the way Brain did mention something about my facebook profile photo, and I just said I had a new friend. I wanted him to probe more, and he probably wanted to as well, but didn't know how to, and so that was the extent of it.

We got the cover, then went upstairs to play some games at Galaxy while waiting for Malay. I bought a $20 card and we shared some games. I tried to get an Angry Bird toy for Erica, and then decided it was probably a bit much, seeing I've already shown her a photo of the other one I got.

We played Daytona, which remains a classic to this day. Malay then called and said he missed his alarm and had only just woke up. I said we'd come to where he is, so we headed off, and on the way I picked up the games (Uncharted 1 and 2, Heavy Rain) from the office to give to Thai.

We caught the bus, then went to the shop on the main street for some food. I put in $5 for some chips, and Thai bought it. I noticed Brain didn't chip in - again, although he was more than eager to later get change to chip in for the lotto ticket we bought earlier (only when there's a chance he'll lose out). Just from that, I've concluded he's a tightass, rather than being socially inept.

Malay arrived, and bought an extra plate of chips to share. We chatted for a while, before realising the shop was closing and we decided to move to Chinksford at my suggestion, since Malay had a car. We went to that Malaysian dessert place, where Erica was brought up again (by I think Thai, or Shuing?).

I said I had met her a few months ago via a friend, although she went to Korea for about a month and a half. I said we went out once or twice before dating, and had been dating for a few months. I said she was 24 and asked the guys if I looked too old for her. From Malay's expression, it was a yes and he joked if she was legal, but Thai (who always makes a fair call) said she did look 24 and it didn't look out of range, but someone said my glasses made me look old.

That was pretty much the extent of it, and I think I passed the interrogation, although I'm going to have to work on the timing better if it comes up again.

Anyway, Malay was good enough to drop off Shuing first, then Brain, then Thai at Central, then me.

IAt about 9:30pm, I sent Erica a photo of the ice cream I had. She replied with "ha ha ha" less than 10 minutes later, and I said I'd take her to have a big ice cream next time. I went to sleep, and woke up at about 1:30am, finding myself checking for messages.

There was one. She said "ok." at 10:41pm.

The brevity of that message affected me. My first and immediate thought was "was she losing interest?"

That concern was now hanging over my head. I began feeling depressed. Even a little bit sick, like I wanted to throw up. I started thinking, am I just setting myself up to get burnt by putting all my eggs in one basket? Wasn't this the problem with Naby, and I told myself never to do it again?

Here's the thing - I can't afford to go mental over this, because 1) I don't want to return to work (especially with the new boss around) with a distraction, and 2) I realised that I actually don't have many more days off during this one week holiday and I'd like to make the most of it, instead of worrying about things.

The solution, I thought, was perhaps to start seeing another girl. It'd be a bit costly, but at least that'd give me a cushion in case things with Erica went bad. You know, I can see myself totally losing it if things did go bad. Either I'd return to the casino, or go extreme punting.

The other side of me, the more rational side, tried to give an explanation. Maybe, because earlier you also said you'd take her to the beach next time, she was getting a bit tired of all this "next time" banter. Or maybe, she was just busy at work. Or maybe, she just wanted to end the conversation, like you sometimes do. Or maybe, it was just a language barrier thing.

You know what, at least she replied. Had she looked at the message and not replied, I swear I'd be off right now. I'd probably be driving out to shops to punt this over. Perhaps even a small chance of crying.

I started wondering if her short answers were a sign of something, and then realised, wait a minute, can you honestly say she gives short answers (in the plural)? Because I don't think you can. Just today she said she was tired and something else about a happy/unhappy day. So maybe I'm being too sensitive.

Anyway, for now, the plan is not to contact her tomorrow (Thursday). I figure, if she started work on Saturday, she might work until Friday and have a day off Saturday (pure assumption on my part), or she might have a day off on Friday.

Either way, I could go without contact tomorrow, then ask her on Friday if she knows when she has a day off. I'm sure I'd get one of those game messages tomorrow, but just ignore it. If she says she's not available on Friday or Saturday, maybe ignore that?

I don't know. But I think right now, you have to set your expectations low, ie. not expect anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home