Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, June 11, 2012

Prometheus / Phwoaaarrrrrr!!!

Waking up today, it was still raining from yesterday. I busied myself in the morning by taking apart the newest Seagate HD to use the PCB board for the older Seagate HD to transfer my movies off it. It's broken anyway, so I figured I might as well transfer it to the more readily working one. Also, I was downloading an NBA playoff game.

But in the back of my mind, I knew - I knew I was going to the casino. I didn't know how, because it was raining, but I knew. There was some boredom...and an itch. It was a public holiday after all.

I took a shower and finished off my downloading. I left the computer on to transfer some files, and then left home. It was raining down like hell. I had no idea how I'd get to the casino in this rain, all I knew was that I had to get to the bus stop. I stood downstairs for a few moments, telling myself it wasn't too late to change my mind. I could just go back upstairs to my warm, warm home.

I ran to the bus stop and waited for a bus. The M50 came and I jumped on. I got off at Central, went through the building and managed to get to a distance towards Market City by going under cover. I ran across the road and walked underneath shelters, and basically ran whenever there wasn't any coverings.

I went through Paddy's Markets, and basically ran through Darling Harbour, where I got pretty soaked. I thought, if this was a mission to go from cover to cover, I was doing an ok job. I actually felt like it was a mission. There was just this drive, this gambling drive that was pushing me to go and not stop.

Finally, I made it to the casino. I wondered about the possibility of them not letting me in because I was so wet, but of course, they just nodded as I walked by. I wonder if they know me. I wonder, as I approach, are they told in their ear piece that I'm the guy who comes to make small wins and leaves? The guy who's addicted?

I looked around for a table. I was surprised that the tables were so packed. I would've thought because of the rain, no one would bother to come out. But then again, I guess the rain is a good reason not to leave the confines of the casino.

I eventually found a table that just had an old man playing on it. The dealer was an Indian guy who seemed quite nice. Having withdrawn $700 earlier, I bought $400 worth of chips. I won my first spin, then started losing. Then I was up $130. I could've left...but I didn't. I kept playing - and started losing. At one stage, I was down to my $200 worth of chips, and it was not a good feeling to have to use $100 of that on the next spin.

Yes, I had $300 more cash in my wallet, but it just wasn't a good feeling. I began asking myself why the hell didn't I leave when I was up $130?!?! I started telling myself that I'd leave if I ever got back up. I'd had my thrills.

There was an unplanned dealer change, as the Indian dealer seemed to need to go to the toilet. He was back a few spins later. I got lucky and managed to slowly climb back up, and was now up $80.

By now, the table had gotten very populated. A Vietnamese guy had joined and was piling on chips like there was no tomorrow. He wasn't silly, he was betting sectors. He put maybe about $60 on one number alone. He was the big fish. I thought, if I lost my $700, I could get some consolation knowing I didn't lose as much as him. To his credit, he won big on a huge pile of chips on 23.

I decided it was time to cash out and let the others play. I wanted to enjoy that nice feeling of walking around feeling 'safe'. I also had a realisation during my playing time - for the first time, I saw the two chips I placed on the split, not as two chips, but as $10. Damn, I was placing $10 per split. That's, like my lunch money for the week.

So I cashed out, and walked around with my chips for a bit. If there was a table open, I reckon I would've continued playing. But, they were all full, so I was left to walk to the cashier, where I cashed in.

I took a bit of a walk around and finally left.

Now, my next question: how the hell was I going to make it to Broadway in this rain? Since I had already gambled, I no longer had that 'urge' to push me. I had no motivation to run really, to try to beat this rain. But I went anyway. I wanted to see Prometheus.

I couldn't really figure out the quickest way to Broadway, and actually ended up getting lost. I ran most of the way, but after realising I was lost, I just walked. God I'm dumb. As I walked, getting drenched in the rain, I thought only a dumbass would go out without his umbrella.

As I semi-ran and walked, I thought about Aron Ralston. I had read his book earlier in the morning (really close to finishing now) and thought about how easy this was compared to what he went through, and so I used that as motivation. I wondered if I would survive anything like that, and told myself if I wanted any chance to do so, then I'd need to run through this damn rain.

I finally got to Broadway, but all soaked. I felt like a hobo. I went to check the cinema times. It was now 15:20 and there was a 3D session starting at 15:50. I didn't really want 3D, but I didn't want to wait longer than I had to.

I went to Target to get some Poppycocks, and then went to the cinema to get my ticket. I also bought a medium popcorn and Sprite.

Oh, and Erica had messaged me via the app. Hmmm. Could I be wrong on her non-interest? Or was she trying to prove any insecurity she had?

The cinema was pretty empty when I got in, but as the starting time grew nearer, it started filling up. Maybe it was even full. A fat guy sat to my right, and I moved my drink from that side so I didn't have to touch his leg everytime I reached for it. The guy to my left seemed to be really scared of some scenes.

I had to go to the toilet at around the scene where the black guy suggests having sex with Theron. I was thinking of gunning through the whole movie, but didn't think I'd make it. It just got so uncomfortable I couldn't even focus on the movie. I thought everyone would hate me for getting up and shuffling through their legs, but no one said a word as I ushered myself out. The leak felt sooooo good!

I was free to drink as much Sprite as I wanted once I returned to my seat, hehe.

But I was now shivering due to sitting there in my cold, wet clothes.

The movie was ok, I thought it raised more questions than answers, which was disappointing because I went for answers. I felt the move really kinda finished in the middle of something - either badly planned or a poor effort to make us pay for a sequel.

After the movie I was once again confronted with the challenge of running through the rain. There was more shelter than I thought, but I still did a considerable amount of running. As I ran through the rain, I thought "phwooaaaaarrrrr!!!" as I challenged myself. I pictured myself to be a soldier running through a hazard, and that was enough motivation.

I made it to the bus stop, and luckily when I got off, there wasn't any rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home