Name:
Location: Australia

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The big XX

Wednesday
I started the morning in Waverley for court. This time I was a little bit smarter, walking to the office and catching a train there so I didn't have to use my own expense in getting there. I wore my new three piece suit. As I was standing near my internal window getting ready, Nunjo walked into her room, looking at me. I looked back and kinda thought "what are you looking at?"

Court was alright, despite me being just on time, both the cop and the other side were already there. When I finished, I left and went to the dollar shop to get some lollies back for the office.

Later during the day, I noticed Julianne returned my travel money rather quickly. I wondered if it had anything to do with me putting out lollies.

After work, Nunjo came to my room for a chat. She told me her balcony had flooded and how she cried to her dad because she was having troubles with getting the real estate agent to organise fixing it. I was wondering why she was telling me. I thought about being sympathetic, but instead, I told her about my visit to the dentist, which raised the topic of her teeth and I asked if her dentist had said anything about her smoking, and she started walking away and I said "I'm not making this very appealing for you am I?" but I thought "sucked in". I kept telling myself if she had even an ounce of interest in me then she'd come to my birthday dinner, and I also thought about the Powell thing.

Thursday
The 'big' day had arrived - the case of the school teacher. I was surprised this was going ahead without any delays. Hell, even in the morning I was half expecting a call from the other side saying they wanted an adj.

I rocked up to court and we started before I even really had time to settle my mind. Further, my xx started before I even felt fully ready. He told me he'd call the psychs first, but HH wanted to hear from his client first, and so off we went. His XN went till after morning tea, and that's when I started and went up to lunch.

Despite having written down some areas for XX, his answer to one of my first questions shocked me. I asked if he had an interest in boys, and he said no. Part of me wondered where to go from there because I had expected him to say yes. But then my instincts kinda took over - I started asking him about a chronology of events and just poked here and there.

I was most proud of my demeanor - I took the Stali attitude by speaking slowly, breathing visibly after some answers (which gave the effect that whatever answer he gave meant he was guilty as fuck). To be honest, I was a bit reluctant to have Moira watch me, and I wasn't sure what her intentions were either. She claimed she wanted to see how my charge was dealt with, yet didn't come back after lunch. I was very relieved to see Clare watching as well. I just felt like she would side with me if anything went wrong, whereas I wasn't so sure about Moira.

But, as we broke for lunch, I was surprised to get some support from Moira. She said I was doing well in XX, and turns out when I went back to the office at the end of the day, she had told Mary I had "put the boot in".

As I walked out of that courtroom for lunch, I held the door open for the guy's brother, and he pushed it hard against the wall as he gave me a stare. Geez, I'm just doing my job, fucker. And how could you possibly defend what your brother had done?

I was too upbeat to have a proper lunch in the office, so just made some cup-a-soup, and even that I didn't finish. However, when I went back to court, I was almost a different person. I ended my XX and when we were doing the psych, I thought I shouldn't ask any questions but did anyway, and it backfired as HH said "I don't think that assists me" and I said sorry and sat down. In hindsight I shouldn't have apologised.

When the whole thing finished at the end of the day, I was exhausted yet excited. I was too tired to go to the gym, yet I was too restless to just go home. Genie and I went to check out toothbrushes and then I went to check out Myer before going home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home