6-10-1...and sick
On Wednesday I sat in on Ogre's trial again. In the midst of it I had to battle with Mike in sending the message to him that Nick was not coming and we needed Carter. That guy is really thick. I had to tell him that five times before he reluctantly agreed to bring Carter along. Seriously.
Before we started, as we sat in the courtroom, our barista and the other side were talking about Asians and Campsie, and they were about to say something derogatory about Chinese restaurants when they paused and it was like "wait a minute, there's an Asian sitting between us".
Then at morning tea, I went to find Ogre and the informant and the barista went for a coffee. I found Ogre and we went to the coffee shop too. At the counter, she asked what I thought about the "whities". I didn't know what she meant at first, and then she said she was referring to the racist views of the barista and the informant.
After they had their coffees, the barista left first, and so the informant and I then had a bit of a chat. Turns out she knows something about my other matter, which led to her talking about how arrogant the def's daughter was, which had a "black people are bad" intonation to it. I was really surprised. I thought if they were all like this, then I wouldn't last in this job very long.
Anyway, the trial finished and the jury retired at 1pm. CJ said he wouldn't take a verdict between 1-2pm so I went back to the office for lunch. At about 2pm Ogre tells me there's a verdict.
This quick?? It must be a guilty verdict.
I wanted to go along for a couple of reasons: 1) I thought it was such a strong case that he must be guilty; and 2) I wanted to see his reaction when the verdict was read out. Part of that may have been due to the fact that he was Asian, or it may not have. I don't know.
This time Ogre took the seat at the bar table, and I sat in the public gallery, watching the jury and accused intently. As the jury was read out, I couldn't believe it: "not guilty".
Are you serious?? How else did the package get to the guy??? Fark me dead, what is the jury thinking. Oh well, guess CJ's directions really did have an effect.
I watched the accused some more, and then I realised I actually didn't want him to be convicted. I started feeling sorry for him. It was my defence side coming out. I was surprised at how much my views had changed since changing sides. I was happy, though, that this would piss the informant off, because she was such a racist. Can't believe they had 12 guys go arrest the dude.
After work, I got changed and went straight to the game. I didn't think Any was coming, Phil sent a message saying he couldn't make it due to work, Abi had Ramadan, and Bo didn't seem to realise what time the game was. I was a bit annoyed that people were cancelling at the last minute and/or didn't bother telling us that they weren't coming until asked.
When I got there, Mike and Carter were already there. I warmed up a bit, then Bo arrived just on time. It looked like it was just going to be the four of us, when Angelo showed up. So we had five, and we were up against JO.
We got off to a horrible start, I think they nearly tripled our score at one stage, despite Carter grabbing a tonne of offensive rebounds. Angelo wasn't the offensive force he usually is. I found the D letting me drive in the middle a few times, so I did but missed the three or so floaters I took. I airballed my first shot as well, then missed a couple of threes even though they felt good.
At halftime, the guy at the reception desk asked for Carter's name. We had obviously been busted. Carter said his name was Carter Ellery, lol. Then the guy asked me what his name was, and I said "I don't know". He was like "he's your teammate, how could you not know". Then Bo just confessed, and that was the end of that, and we started the second half with four players.
It seemed to give us a bit of a kick, as we played harder than usual. Angelo got a couple of decent blocks, Bo was grabbing some big rebounds, and even I grabbed a couple of long rebounds. One, I got and ran down the court. Only their tall lanky guy was in front of me. Suddenly everything about my knee had been forgotten as I sped down the court, only to be blocked on my left hand lay up.
Towards the end, I had the ball and pretended I was looking to pass to Bo, and then shot the three. Swish. Finally. I heard the girl doing duty cheer a bit. Great, that's what I needed - pity. I had stunk up so much that it was noticeable.
I remember at one point during some free throws, I stood there with my hands on my hips, feeling helpless, like I couldn't do anything myself to beat this team. Then I thought:
"Gambling and other distractions have deteriorated you into the player you are today."
I felt so bad. Yet also, at the end of the game, the only way I felt like we could win was if I started a fight. They were so good I just felt like punching them. But they were nice as well, so that was hard to do.
Bo and I did duty after, then caught the train together. I kept telling myself I really needed to slim down and be faster. I feel as if going to the gym has bulked me up too much. I told myself I would go for a run during lunch the next day.
Today
I woke up with a bit of a sore throat, but thought I'd be right. I walked to work, getting there at close to 9am, because I'd have this mental health training thing at 9:30am.
But after I got changed and all, I could feel the cold really start coming. My nose began running. I didn't think I should go to the training, but went anyway, and it was pretty bad.
I mean, the session was good, it really hit home for me when she said the brain of addicts was like splattered, because it relies on emotions and not logic (so true), but I just couldn't sit through the whole session cause my nose was so bad. I soaked up tissue from one pocket, then soaked the one from the other pocket. I'm sure people sitting behind me were thinking I was pretty disgusting.
Other interesting thing she said was that lawyers lead the stats in suicide rates because we focus on negative outcomes all the time. I bet those Asian parents never thought about this when they pushed their kids to law school.
There was a break at about 11am, and I quickly rushed to my office for some nasal relief. I finished up something for Judith, and then sent an email saying I was sick and left.
I caught a train to Burwood to get Malay a birthday present. My nose was running like shit on the train, but anyways. I went to the shopping centre and went to that store we went to last time. I got him that dancing monkey speakers. It was $60, and even though I was only willing to spend $50 max, I had to do it because he's been the only good friend. I will always remember him picking me up from the hospital.
A small part of me also figured that, in a strictly financial sense, that would mean the friendship only costs $5 per month.
I went to the foodcourt for lunch, had a pide meal deal. I was sneezing like a motherfucker which was pretty gross. Couldn't wait to get out of there. With a blocked nose, it always clears up when walking outdoors, so I needed that.
I caught the train back to the city then went home. Earlier I went to meet up with Malay to give him the present. I had a bit of a bitching session with him about Shuing, and then left.
Given my cold now, I'm not so sure if I'll even make it to see Emily on the weekend. Maybe it'll be a good thing, in that it'll save me some money. If I don't go, I'll send her a message to see how she responds.
In calculating my net worth now, I don't count the amount on my Citi credit card, which has gone up to $3000 now, all because in a span of a little more than a week, I couldn't control my emotions and went on a gambling/whoring binge. So easy to ruin what I had saved up for such a long time...
Anyways, I seem to be in better shape emotionally now, since Emily is filling that emotional void...temporarily anyway. I will really need to save according to a strict plan if I'm going to meet my target by the end of the year.
Before we started, as we sat in the courtroom, our barista and the other side were talking about Asians and Campsie, and they were about to say something derogatory about Chinese restaurants when they paused and it was like "wait a minute, there's an Asian sitting between us".
Then at morning tea, I went to find Ogre and the informant and the barista went for a coffee. I found Ogre and we went to the coffee shop too. At the counter, she asked what I thought about the "whities". I didn't know what she meant at first, and then she said she was referring to the racist views of the barista and the informant.
After they had their coffees, the barista left first, and so the informant and I then had a bit of a chat. Turns out she knows something about my other matter, which led to her talking about how arrogant the def's daughter was, which had a "black people are bad" intonation to it. I was really surprised. I thought if they were all like this, then I wouldn't last in this job very long.
Anyway, the trial finished and the jury retired at 1pm. CJ said he wouldn't take a verdict between 1-2pm so I went back to the office for lunch. At about 2pm Ogre tells me there's a verdict.
This quick?? It must be a guilty verdict.
I wanted to go along for a couple of reasons: 1) I thought it was such a strong case that he must be guilty; and 2) I wanted to see his reaction when the verdict was read out. Part of that may have been due to the fact that he was Asian, or it may not have. I don't know.
This time Ogre took the seat at the bar table, and I sat in the public gallery, watching the jury and accused intently. As the jury was read out, I couldn't believe it: "not guilty".
Are you serious?? How else did the package get to the guy??? Fark me dead, what is the jury thinking. Oh well, guess CJ's directions really did have an effect.
I watched the accused some more, and then I realised I actually didn't want him to be convicted. I started feeling sorry for him. It was my defence side coming out. I was surprised at how much my views had changed since changing sides. I was happy, though, that this would piss the informant off, because she was such a racist. Can't believe they had 12 guys go arrest the dude.
After work, I got changed and went straight to the game. I didn't think Any was coming, Phil sent a message saying he couldn't make it due to work, Abi had Ramadan, and Bo didn't seem to realise what time the game was. I was a bit annoyed that people were cancelling at the last minute and/or didn't bother telling us that they weren't coming until asked.
When I got there, Mike and Carter were already there. I warmed up a bit, then Bo arrived just on time. It looked like it was just going to be the four of us, when Angelo showed up. So we had five, and we were up against JO.
We got off to a horrible start, I think they nearly tripled our score at one stage, despite Carter grabbing a tonne of offensive rebounds. Angelo wasn't the offensive force he usually is. I found the D letting me drive in the middle a few times, so I did but missed the three or so floaters I took. I airballed my first shot as well, then missed a couple of threes even though they felt good.
At halftime, the guy at the reception desk asked for Carter's name. We had obviously been busted. Carter said his name was Carter Ellery, lol. Then the guy asked me what his name was, and I said "I don't know". He was like "he's your teammate, how could you not know". Then Bo just confessed, and that was the end of that, and we started the second half with four players.
It seemed to give us a bit of a kick, as we played harder than usual. Angelo got a couple of decent blocks, Bo was grabbing some big rebounds, and even I grabbed a couple of long rebounds. One, I got and ran down the court. Only their tall lanky guy was in front of me. Suddenly everything about my knee had been forgotten as I sped down the court, only to be blocked on my left hand lay up.
Towards the end, I had the ball and pretended I was looking to pass to Bo, and then shot the three. Swish. Finally. I heard the girl doing duty cheer a bit. Great, that's what I needed - pity. I had stunk up so much that it was noticeable.
I remember at one point during some free throws, I stood there with my hands on my hips, feeling helpless, like I couldn't do anything myself to beat this team. Then I thought:
"Gambling and other distractions have deteriorated you into the player you are today."
I felt so bad. Yet also, at the end of the game, the only way I felt like we could win was if I started a fight. They were so good I just felt like punching them. But they were nice as well, so that was hard to do.
Bo and I did duty after, then caught the train together. I kept telling myself I really needed to slim down and be faster. I feel as if going to the gym has bulked me up too much. I told myself I would go for a run during lunch the next day.
Today
I woke up with a bit of a sore throat, but thought I'd be right. I walked to work, getting there at close to 9am, because I'd have this mental health training thing at 9:30am.
But after I got changed and all, I could feel the cold really start coming. My nose began running. I didn't think I should go to the training, but went anyway, and it was pretty bad.
I mean, the session was good, it really hit home for me when she said the brain of addicts was like splattered, because it relies on emotions and not logic (so true), but I just couldn't sit through the whole session cause my nose was so bad. I soaked up tissue from one pocket, then soaked the one from the other pocket. I'm sure people sitting behind me were thinking I was pretty disgusting.
Other interesting thing she said was that lawyers lead the stats in suicide rates because we focus on negative outcomes all the time. I bet those Asian parents never thought about this when they pushed their kids to law school.
There was a break at about 11am, and I quickly rushed to my office for some nasal relief. I finished up something for Judith, and then sent an email saying I was sick and left.
I caught a train to Burwood to get Malay a birthday present. My nose was running like shit on the train, but anyways. I went to the shopping centre and went to that store we went to last time. I got him that dancing monkey speakers. It was $60, and even though I was only willing to spend $50 max, I had to do it because he's been the only good friend. I will always remember him picking me up from the hospital.
A small part of me also figured that, in a strictly financial sense, that would mean the friendship only costs $5 per month.
I went to the foodcourt for lunch, had a pide meal deal. I was sneezing like a motherfucker which was pretty gross. Couldn't wait to get out of there. With a blocked nose, it always clears up when walking outdoors, so I needed that.
I caught the train back to the city then went home. Earlier I went to meet up with Malay to give him the present. I had a bit of a bitching session with him about Shuing, and then left.
Given my cold now, I'm not so sure if I'll even make it to see Emily on the weekend. Maybe it'll be a good thing, in that it'll save me some money. If I don't go, I'll send her a message to see how she responds.
In calculating my net worth now, I don't count the amount on my Citi credit card, which has gone up to $3000 now, all because in a span of a little more than a week, I couldn't control my emotions and went on a gambling/whoring binge. So easy to ruin what I had saved up for such a long time...
Anyways, I seem to be in better shape emotionally now, since Emily is filling that emotional void...temporarily anyway. I will really need to save according to a strict plan if I'm going to meet my target by the end of the year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home