Name:
Location: Australia

Friday, June 19, 2009

Rodney

I went to the bread shop again yesterday, and as I was trying to slide open one of the glass windows to get to the bread I broke it, lol! Well it didn't actually break, but I pushed it so hard because it was stuck that it came out of place from the slots holding it which allows it to slide.

Hot para was in court for the first half of the day, but again I made a conscious effort to ignore her and avoid eye contact. There was a stage where I was in a full elevator which she and her friend were in, and I was standing at the back. I took the opportunity to get a good look at her.

Damn, she's shorter than I thought. Yet she doesn't look short.

My eyes trailed quickly to her friend who looked at me.

Goddamnit, don't look at her friend! She'll think you like HER! I wonder if her friend was checking me out, or if she was seeing if I was looking at the hot para.

During the lunch break I could see that GS was still bothered by this 'ethical' issue. He was lying down on the couch, and he mentioned the HK client's case and said the same situation existed there but no one raised an issue like now. I sad that was even worse, because HK client exculpated everyone else whereas the current witness is actually inculpating us.

DY came over and sat on the table to start talking to GS, it was like a counselling session, lol.

DC didn't drive yesterday, so he had to catch a train. He asked if I wanted to go with him and I was quite open to that. Then he revealed that he was meeting Kate, and I suppose I could put up being the light bulb again, and then when we met Kate at the train station I further found out that we were to meet Kate's mum on the train!

Wasn't as awkward as I thought it'd be, because all three of them are very chatty. Her mum was saying how she was checking out the guys in the courtroom a while ago for Kate when she first entered, and suggested DC as a possible match but turned out he was married. She also mentioned RB, and said he wasn't much of a looker. I'll admit the guy isn't exactly the best looking dude in the room, but I find an aura of charm and charisma about him, coupled with his intelligence and power in the courtroom. So I was pretty surprised at how quickly a woman was to dismiss a guy based purely on his looks.

We parted ways at the bus stop as I caught a different bus to them. I went home, found no one and drove out to the shopping centre near me. Being somewhat of a hopeless hopeless romantic, I wanted to try my luck and see if I could bump into Karen, since she mentioned she had some familiarity with the place. But once there, I ended up being more curious about the shops there, although I did try to keep one eye out for her, even though I was really unsure as to what she would/might look like.

I decided to check out all the shops on every floor before getting some orange juice and my usual milk. I walked past the cake shop where Eva works, and saw her cleaning the dishes, but didn't want to say hi because 1) I was still being nomadic and wanted to avoid that group altogether; and 2) I didn't want to cause her any problems at work.

As I was walking to the supermarket for my juice and milk, a guy looked at me, half nodded and smiled. I thought he was smiling at the people in front of me until I looked closer and it was Rodney from high school! Wow, he had put on a bit of weight.

We talked for a bit, I told him about A's wedding and he told me about Arm's wedding a week before that. He told me of a couple of other guys who had recently gotten engaged. Wow, seemed like everyone was getting married. I was surprised he wasn't married. When I see people like him, and Kate, who I deem average or better than average (unlike the way I see myself), I sometimes wonder if finding the other person goes beyond appearance, occupation, and personality. Maybe luck has a large role to play as well. I mean, Kate is blonde, slim, funny, and chatty, so surely in her younger years she would've had a lot of guys chase after her, no? Or did she just spend her time travelling and in the meantime let her prime pass away unknowingly?

Anyway, after the chat I got my juice and milk. They didn't have the small milk so I had to go with the medium one. I also bought a pack of chips. I sat in my car in the car park, drinking my milk and eating the chips. Didn't think about anything really, just about my encounter with Rodney, and a bit about my knee. I found myself still grappling and adjusting with the idea that I was pretty much a cripple.

I mean, in a way, I almost felt invincible before. Like, I knew what I could do. In worst case scenario, if someone tried to rob or fight me in the streets, I could at least try to fight or run away. But, I can't do that now. If I tried any of that, they'd realise I had a leg problem and I'd just have to cower and get bashed.

I feel like the lion in the wild, now too old to fight, so when predators come for their food, I can do nothing but accept my fate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home