Name:
Location: Australia

Saturday, May 31, 2014

First Shuing meet after hospital

On Friday morning, I decided a swift change of plan would be needed.

Me @ 8:33 - Hey Victoria, if you cannot do a Krusty Burger tonight, would you be free for bowling (& crying in defeat) next Friday? =)

Her @ 9:11 - Good morning [insert name here], I didn't go to work today as my matter was dropped out at last minute. I think I will just stay at home and study today.

Ok...but what about next Friday??

Me @ 9:29 - But are you able to go bowling next Friday? I promise I won't beat you by too much :)

Her @ 9:43 - Haha you are funny! Can I confirm sometime next week with you?

Me @ 10:26 - Alright, but I'll be working on my bowling arm in the meantime ;)

I was doing ok at work, until one guy excused himself to do some repair work on my door and started banging loudly for a few minutes. I didn't think it'd affect me much, but it gave me a headache for the rest of the day. Not sure if I have an illness making me particularly vulnerable to headaches, or if I'm just getting old.

After work I didn't even feel like going to the gym, even though that had been my plan. Instead, I went straight home and played Last of Us. Later in the night I met up with Shuing and G. I picked up Shuing first and we had a chat about his surgery. He said he was ok, spent only one night in hospital, but still feels very sore.

We talked about being anaesthetised and he complained about not being notified right before it happened.

I asked if he had a newfound appreciation for nurses now like I did when I was in hospital. He said no, but he did have a newfound appreciation for people who are near their time, then said it meant he also had newfound appreciation for the doctors and NURSES who look after them. I am telling you, this guy just likes to counter points made just for the sake of being a contrarian.

We went to G's work to pick him up, waited for a long time, so long that it started making me uncomfortable, because I knew with each passing minute, the chance for an argument brewing with Shuing increased exponentially.

A good example was when he brought up a Sam de Brito article about Australians being lazy. I said I agreed in general and he said you couldn't base something like that on race, before proceeding to talk about how Indians were lazy as well. I then said "isn't that basing it on race?" and he didn't have a comeback, but then diverted the issue to exploitation. I said we had it pretty good here in Australia in terms of workers' rights and entitlements, and that I wouldn't care if they took away two weeks of my annual leave. He said that wasn't right if we were being exploited, and I asked him how he would feel if he was an employer and he avoided that question as well.

Then he brought up the picture of the article I posted in the facebook group about a camper's dog saving him from a bear attack, then the camper eating the dog for survival. I said I wouldn't do that and Shuing argued it might be different if I had children (which the article doesn't say anything about) and that it indicated I didn't have any self worth. The conclusions he draws are extraordinary.

Finally G came, and we decided to go to Moe's Tavern since it was 10pm already and I thought things would be closed in Chinksford. Shuing looked reluctant but agreed, probably because last time I called him out on only ever wanting Asian food.

It turned out to be a huge disappointment as the place wasn't fitted out like Moe's Tavern at all. It had a few Duff Beer posters, some toy kegs, and that was it. I ordered the Duffalo wings and the seafood basket. The wings were basically home made steamed chicken wings poured with bbq sauce, and the seafood basket was the smallest I had ever seen for $18. Fuck. At least G enjoyed his Duff Beer.

It was hard to hear the guys talk due to the music, so we left as soon as we finished eating. We went to Harry's where we grabbed some hot dogs. G and Shuing sat down on a bench eating, and I stood in front of them to eat and talk.

I told them about my lunch with Victoria, and relayed the story about the guy's $25,000 engagement ring. I said that the guy was pissed because his fiancee had lost the receipt. Shuing then said in a very argumentative tone the guy should not be pissed, as he had already spent the $25,000, so what was $2,500 in comparison. This really made me feel like he was just arguing against me for the sake of it, so I took a seat next to G, and Shuing said "ooo he doesn't like that" and chuckled. At least G showed some reasoning, saying $2,500 was still a lot of money.

After that I tried my best to not say anything else that could give rise to an argument. Shuing then baited me again by asking if I thought women were more devious than men. By 'devious' I took it to mean manipulative, so I said yes. He then likened me to the Elliot Roger guy who hated women. This made me really angry. He said it was dangerous for me to hate women like that, and I'm thinking "wtf??"

I said I had worked with a lot of women in my old job and saw all the bitching and backstabbing, then he added that if I wanted to see backstabbing I should see his old trading job. I tried to get G into the conversation by asking him and he asked devious in what respect? This somehow never got explored and Shuing went on rambling while I pointed out a fat seagull.

After that we went home. I dropped G off at his work first before dropping Shuing home. Boy was I glad the night was over without any significant fights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home