Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, April 11, 2011

In da CCA!

Got to work at 8am today, half expecting Sarah to be there. Don't know why, but I just assumed she'd come to work first, then take her dog to the vet, then come back to work, then go pick up her dog.

Instead, I saw a huge mountain of folders and paper on my chair and on the whiteboard that she had taken leave for the day. She had left the stuff on my chair for the matter today.

I spent some time reading up on the matter, with half my mind on meeting LC. I finally had reception notify me and I went down to meet him. He seemed pretty cool at first, we had a brief chat about what we were going to do for the day and he told me what he needed, and I went back up to prepare.

After a while I went back down to meet him and we left for court together. On the walk there, we got along fairly easily. The only thing I didn't understand was why we had to walk through the park. Maybe he enjoyed the shade. Maybe it was the shortest route. But the stairs spread out sporadically throughout the park meant I had to carry my suitcase up and down, which wasn't exactly light.

When we got to court, we went in and waited. Our matter was mentioned and got a marking not before 11:15am. The cofficer there was the one from the Parra trial. Although I tried to catch her eye to say hi, she never looked up. RP was also on the other side, but seeing as he was never really in the Parra trial for long, I don't know him too well.

LC and I walked back out of the courtroom to some seats down the corridor. He told me he had to go see WA and asked me to wait there. I wondered why he wanted me to wait out here instead of in court, just in case our matter was called, or maybe even some observation would be helpful? Anyway, I saw him talking to that lady in the Parra trial who used to work at my current office, and I didn't really feel like talking so I walked back to around the door to the courtroom.

I sat down and started reading something, and then looked up to see a lady talking to an old couple. The lady was Faye. I couldn't believe it. She must've thought I deliberately sat in her line of vision hoping she'd come talk to me. God, that would be so sad. I couldn't leave immediately, so I read a bit more before moving back to my original area.

I got my head around the matter by the time LC came back, but it was morning tea anyway so we went upstairs for a coffee. He bought me a short black, and we talked over coffee, mainly about his ipad and one of my current matters.

After coffee we went back to court. Our matter started after watching the one before ours. I was pretty much still in awe with the whole surroundings with three judges and all that. I was so nervous I totally wasn't ready to provide help if LC asked for it. Indeed, he asked me for something and I fumbled a few times before getting it for him.

As I listened to the other side and LC liaise with the judges, I pretty much realised I'd never be as good as they were, no matter how much I wanted it. It basically wasn't even English, I couldn't understand where they were going or what they were talking about. I thought LC did a really good job. He seems so young, yet so talented. He's an inspiration. I wish I could be like him.

We didn't finish by lunch, so I went back to the office. LC invited me to lunch but I said I wanted to go back. It probably wasn't much of a good idea, since it took me 15 minutes to walk back (I underestimated the distance). I microwaved my lunch, ate it while checking my emails and voice mail messages, as well as looking something up for LC in our current matter. Before I knew it, I had to go. I ran to the toilet and back and then hurried back to court. I got there just in time. LC was already at the bar table, and moments after I sat down, the judges came in.

I was kinda glad the judges didn't give anyone, especially LC, a hard time, since that meant less work for me. Less questions is good, especially in a matter which I had just picked up on the day.

I was pretty relieved when we finished. LC and I walked back to our office and I went to his old room to work on something together. I was quite exhausted and just felt like tanking it, but he kept on working looking stuff up. Don't know how he did it. I didn't even have to say anything in court and I was tired.

After that I went back up to my floor and caught up to all the emails and missed calls that had happened. I worked till about 7:30pm before going to level 10. I saw on the whiteboard that Junar was still there, so I figured it'd be a good time to go look for a while in Wendy F's room just so someone knew what I was doing.

I spooked her as I walked to her room as she thought everyone had left. Just as I was beginning to tell her what I was doing her phone rang, and I went to search for my file anyway. I was so sure I'd find it in Wendy F's room, but alas, it wasn't there. I looked everywhere else in the para bay while Junar was on the phone.

When she got off the phone, she helped me look and then we just stood around talking, mainly about the recruiting process here. We talked for a while before her phone rang again, and I took the opportunity to leave.

After I left work, I went to the gym. I really wanted to get on a bike to strengthen my knee in time for Wednesday. I rode the bike for 15 minutes before leaving. I went to buy a bus ticket and then some KFC chips. Mmm yum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home