Name:
Location: Australia

Sunday, April 10, 2011

One Year Naby

I left home at about 7:40am today to meet A for swimming. As I was walking along the main road listening to my mp3 player, I saw his car pull over in front. So I got in and he drove the rest of the way.

We talked a bit about shoulder pain, and he said he has had it before, although he got it from sleeping. He also told me he had suspended his gym account as he was taking a break until after his holidays in the US. He told me he was taking a break because he just felt tired of it, and asked if I ever felt the same. I said I did, although my breaks were usually started by injuries.

Anyway, he had problems with his card as he had suspended his gym account which also inadvertently suspended his swimming account. So I went in first and did a couple of laps before he arrived.

It didn't hurt my shoulders today, although I did feel a bit of strain in my right arm/shoulder when I grabbed the wall at the deep end, and I didn't seem to really be affected by missing out last week as my stroke seemed fairly smooth. The only thing was my cold. On one lap I nearly went into a coughing fit and was glad when I reached the end to let out a really phlemy cough. Ugh.

During a stoppage (and we had quite a few today since we got there early enough for it not to be packed) I told him about the new bball comp coming up and asked if he was interested. He did say yes, but then when he found out it starts next week he said he'd wait for the next one as he didn't want to miss any weeks. Fair enough, but I felt bad for asking him at the last minute, especially since I really only did it because we're low on numbers, and I wasn't going to tell him about it had the original plan gone ahead.

We eventually did about 11 laps each, although I'm not sure how that worked since I had a two lap headstart. Maybe I counted wrong, I don't know.

When we were leaving, we came across that old man who talks really loud. He stopped us in our tracks as he asked A where he was from. A was startled and told him Lebanon. The man then rambled on about Lebanon, and the lifeguard and I exchanged glances like "this old guy is crazy". I thought I was lucky to not be in the firing range but then the old guy turned to me to ask me where I was from, and then started telling me about Mao swimming or something. We slowly walked away.

A drove me home, where I had a shower and breakfast. My plan was to go work on my threes in preparation for the season and then meet Bo at 3pm. I bummed around on the net a bit and Sarah called. She told me her dog had been hit by a car so she needed to take it to the vet tomorrow, and asked if I could sit in in one of her court matters. I said it wasn't a problem, and then went to take a nap.

I woke up to find a missed call from Bo and a message from Sarah. She wrote a long message asking if it was really ok and I just replied with "totally ok!". In hindsight, I could've been a bit more elegant and funny. Hmmm.

I called Bo and he asked if I wanted to meet earlier at 2pm, and I said yes. It was already 1pm and I planned ot walk out, so I got ready and left home at about 1:30pm. On the way I stopped at Coles to buy some sports drinks, and as I neared the courts, I could feel a few drops of rain.

I saw Bo shooting around with a few Asian guys who dispersed as I arrived. Bo was wearing a USA Jordan jersey. We talked about guys suddenly going quiet on the team now that things were getting serious, and figured we'd have seven for Wednesday night IF Colin plays, which I don't think he will since he hasn't posted in the fb group since Nick asked for people to pay for the jerseys.

We just shot around and talked. He annoyed me a bit because he kept trying to show me these stupid 'spin' shots saying he was going to do them in games. I just wished he would take this a little more serious.

I started out thinking we'd have all these big guys so I could take a backseat to winning a chip. Now, we're in B grade with Nick as the only tall guy. We're going to get smashed, and I'm going to have to play a bigger role than I anticipated and would've liked.

It started raining lightly, and some guys came over and asked if we wanted to play a game. We ended up playing four on four. The ground was already slippery, and the rain was slowly getting heavier. Guys were telling eachother to go at a slow pace - something I didn't really need to be told. There was no fucking way I was going to risk anything in this condition.

Maybe I'm just scared, but in the last few weeks I keep picturing hurting my right knee, but in a more freakish way than a twist. I keep imagining it somehow being stepped on or crushed from the side so that my whole knee snaps sideways. It's not pretty, but it's the image in my head.

One guy on our team, a really tall lanky guy, was playing pretty hard for wet weather. He nearly tipped in a dunk on my shot which went in. I told myself to suggest to Bo afterwards to ask if he wanted in on our team, but when the game finished Bo just gave an open invitation to everyone, lol.

I was the one who suggested to end the game when the rain got too heavy for my liking. I just said "last point?" even though the tall lanky guy wanted to keep playing. I really didn't need to slip and hurt myself before the season has even started.

As Bo and I walked off, he invited me to his place as he had cooked some curry. I didn't really want to go, so just said no, lol. I walked to the bus stop in the rain and caught a bus home.

One Year Naby
So I've been 'seeing' Naby for a year now. I must admit, during the last session in March, I remember looking at her at one stage and having a feeling of boredom. It was like "this is it?"

I got a bit of that same feeling yesterday. I wonder if this is what being in a relationship is like. Will I get bored of a relationship after a year? Am I starting to lose interest in Naby? Between my March visit and yesterday, I think a bit of reality has slipped in - I've sort of realised how unrealistic it would be to actually go out with Naby. There's a huge communication barrier given our different languages, we may not even have anything to talk about over dinner, and she might not have that intellectual aspect that I desire in a girl.

However, a large part of me still fantasises about a future with her...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home