Playing through injuries / Hurricanes (Jenny)
When was the last time I felt like I had an awesome basketball game?
On Wednesday, with my knee in pain and causing me to limp every time I walked after a prolonged period of sitting, I suited up and played the game. It was against the shittest team in the division, so why did I play? Because we had lost to them before, and I didn't want to risk losing to them again, which would seriously put us out of the playoff race.
My only goal that game was to shut down their only scorer, number 21. He wasn't that good, but he was enough of a threat last time to beat us. So almost every possession, I made it a priority to shut him down and at times covered him from full court.
It worked. We were up by eight at half time, and he sat out the first ten minutes of the second half, but by then it was already over. And despite my knee, I still managed to sneak in one of those steals where I steal it from their inbounds pass after we scored.
I just felt so proud of myself that I was able to play through pain. When was the last time I did that? All I can remember is being too old and being too cautious nowadays. I pictured myself as a 40 year old Michael Jordan trying with 110% effort to win the game.
After the game we went to Eastwood to eat. It was quite enjoyable, as we went to a HK style cafe, and everything was really cheap despite the large servings.
Thursday
On Thursday I was to meet Jenny for dinner. Originally I said we would watch a movie but then realised picking her up at 8:30pm meant it would be a little too late for a movie, so I changed it to dinner and she said ok.
I decided to play a bit of a prank with her - just before I arrived, I sent her a message saying my mum wanted to meet her and so would be joining us for dinner. There was a bit of a pause, and then she replied with "ok". I mentally gave her credit for her calmness and agreement to meet my mother, even though I knew she'd hate it.
I parked outside the casino and waited for her. After a few minutes, I saw her walking towards my car, looking into it to look for my mother. I told her it was a joke and she said she half knew it. I said it was to remind her of G's situation lol.
But the joking soon ended. She told me that Coco had told her supervisor Corinne that they didn't get along, and so Corinne separated them on their allocated shift together. I couldn't believe Coco had done that, seriously affecting Jenny's career. I think any personal disputes like that should be left outside the work place and not be used to interfere with work.
So the whole car ride was filled with that topic, and this time I was much more passionate and siding with Jenny because: 1) it came as a surprise (whereas with the dispute, Coco had got to me first); and 2) I really did believe Coco had done the wrong thing.
I mean, why the hell would you tell your manager, before starting the job, that you didn't get along with someone? That just makes you look bad, and makes things difficult for the manager. I told Jenny to be calm about it, and not bring up the topic at work, but if asked, to just say there had been a misunderstanding and that she was a nice person (so that Coco would play the villain). She said she wasn't sure if she could say Coco was a nice person.
I took us to Bondi Beach and after I parked, I got the coloured rose out from the back seat and gave it to her. She was like "another rose?" and I said it reminded me of her when I saw it because it was so colourful. She thanked me, and I had this big fear that she'd want to leave it in the car so people didn't see it and think we were a couple, but to my surprise, she took it along with her. She said it was beautiful and asked me if I knew how it was made. Luckily I asked the guy when I bought it earlier (they split the stems and feed it dyed water).
We went to the restaurant and had a table outside. I was thinking of ordering a main each, but she suggested sharing a main and a salad. I figured that may be wise anyway since they seemed to be pretty big servings, and it would be more cost effective.
We continued talking about Coco, interspersed with various other topics like her moving on Sunday. I told her I would be meeting Coco on Friday night to give her the $500 rental money, and she seemed to just want me to drop it off and go. I said I'd probably just have a quick meal with her to try to smooth things out so she doesn't hurt Jenny's career. But I wondered if she wanted to keep me away from Coco just because she didn't like her, or if she felt some degree of jealousy now. She did say at one point that she felt Coco abandoned their friendship after meeting her new boyfriend Jay.
The food turned out to be just enough, and we didn't even completely finish the salad. When it came time to pay, she left about $30 on the table and insisted on contributing, and I just nodded. She said she needed to go to the toilet, so I just stuffed the money back into her purse and paid for it. When she returned and we left, she asked how much it was and I said $90, and she commented on how expensive it was after converting it to HKD.
We walked back to my car, and I thought about suggesting a walk on the beach, but it was dark and slightly windy, and I figured she'd say no. So we went back to my car and I drove her home. On the way home we got talking about her drawings and I jokingly asked her to draw me, and this time she said she would. I joked that I would only accept it if she made me handsome, and she said "I don't know what to say" lol. She said she would do a simple drawing and I asked if she would just do a circle with eyes and a mouth, and we both laughed.
On Wednesday, with my knee in pain and causing me to limp every time I walked after a prolonged period of sitting, I suited up and played the game. It was against the shittest team in the division, so why did I play? Because we had lost to them before, and I didn't want to risk losing to them again, which would seriously put us out of the playoff race.
My only goal that game was to shut down their only scorer, number 21. He wasn't that good, but he was enough of a threat last time to beat us. So almost every possession, I made it a priority to shut him down and at times covered him from full court.
It worked. We were up by eight at half time, and he sat out the first ten minutes of the second half, but by then it was already over. And despite my knee, I still managed to sneak in one of those steals where I steal it from their inbounds pass after we scored.
I just felt so proud of myself that I was able to play through pain. When was the last time I did that? All I can remember is being too old and being too cautious nowadays. I pictured myself as a 40 year old Michael Jordan trying with 110% effort to win the game.
After the game we went to Eastwood to eat. It was quite enjoyable, as we went to a HK style cafe, and everything was really cheap despite the large servings.
Thursday
On Thursday I was to meet Jenny for dinner. Originally I said we would watch a movie but then realised picking her up at 8:30pm meant it would be a little too late for a movie, so I changed it to dinner and she said ok.
I decided to play a bit of a prank with her - just before I arrived, I sent her a message saying my mum wanted to meet her and so would be joining us for dinner. There was a bit of a pause, and then she replied with "ok". I mentally gave her credit for her calmness and agreement to meet my mother, even though I knew she'd hate it.
I parked outside the casino and waited for her. After a few minutes, I saw her walking towards my car, looking into it to look for my mother. I told her it was a joke and she said she half knew it. I said it was to remind her of G's situation lol.
But the joking soon ended. She told me that Coco had told her supervisor Corinne that they didn't get along, and so Corinne separated them on their allocated shift together. I couldn't believe Coco had done that, seriously affecting Jenny's career. I think any personal disputes like that should be left outside the work place and not be used to interfere with work.
So the whole car ride was filled with that topic, and this time I was much more passionate and siding with Jenny because: 1) it came as a surprise (whereas with the dispute, Coco had got to me first); and 2) I really did believe Coco had done the wrong thing.
I mean, why the hell would you tell your manager, before starting the job, that you didn't get along with someone? That just makes you look bad, and makes things difficult for the manager. I told Jenny to be calm about it, and not bring up the topic at work, but if asked, to just say there had been a misunderstanding and that she was a nice person (so that Coco would play the villain). She said she wasn't sure if she could say Coco was a nice person.
I took us to Bondi Beach and after I parked, I got the coloured rose out from the back seat and gave it to her. She was like "another rose?" and I said it reminded me of her when I saw it because it was so colourful. She thanked me, and I had this big fear that she'd want to leave it in the car so people didn't see it and think we were a couple, but to my surprise, she took it along with her. She said it was beautiful and asked me if I knew how it was made. Luckily I asked the guy when I bought it earlier (they split the stems and feed it dyed water).
We went to the restaurant and had a table outside. I was thinking of ordering a main each, but she suggested sharing a main and a salad. I figured that may be wise anyway since they seemed to be pretty big servings, and it would be more cost effective.
We continued talking about Coco, interspersed with various other topics like her moving on Sunday. I told her I would be meeting Coco on Friday night to give her the $500 rental money, and she seemed to just want me to drop it off and go. I said I'd probably just have a quick meal with her to try to smooth things out so she doesn't hurt Jenny's career. But I wondered if she wanted to keep me away from Coco just because she didn't like her, or if she felt some degree of jealousy now. She did say at one point that she felt Coco abandoned their friendship after meeting her new boyfriend Jay.
The food turned out to be just enough, and we didn't even completely finish the salad. When it came time to pay, she left about $30 on the table and insisted on contributing, and I just nodded. She said she needed to go to the toilet, so I just stuffed the money back into her purse and paid for it. When she returned and we left, she asked how much it was and I said $90, and she commented on how expensive it was after converting it to HKD.
We walked back to my car, and I thought about suggesting a walk on the beach, but it was dark and slightly windy, and I figured she'd say no. So we went back to my car and I drove her home. On the way home we got talking about her drawings and I jokingly asked her to draw me, and this time she said she would. I joked that I would only accept it if she made me handsome, and she said "I don't know what to say" lol. She said she would do a simple drawing and I asked if she would just do a circle with eyes and a mouth, and we both laughed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home