Name:
Location: Australia

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

To the bar?

I had plans to meet Daniel for lunch today. He called me last week to ask who had carriage of a particular matter, and ended the conversation asking me to lunch. Normally I would've been thinking of a reason to decline, but his call was coincidentally timed - I had been thinking about going to the bar, and this was the perfect opportunity to get some insight.

So at 12:55pm I went out to the lifts, pressed the button and waited. Then I heard the door open and loud footsteps. I had a pretty good guess it was Nunjo. I didn't budge. The lifts opened and I walked in. She hurried but the doors were closing, and she had to stick up her arms to keep them from shutting. The rest of the journey was silent as she played on her phone.

I can't help but think that maybe she wants you back. I mean, if she really wanted to avoid you, she would've just missed the lift. But barging in like that through closed doors shows some determination.

Also, I know she still cares. The other day I was walking behind her in the corridor, and knocked on Moira's door. She was on the phone so I closed it, and when I looked down the hallway, Nunjo was looking back at me just before she turned the corner.

Anyway, I met Daniel downstairs just in time as he was walking towards my building, dressed rather casually. We shook hands and I said "I don't suppose you came from court". We walked to the shopping centre, even though I had thought he wanted to eat at the cafeteria downstairs. He suggested sushi and I mentally anticipated that my $50 note would be sufficient for both of us.

Yes, I intended on shouting him because I was there to get information.

And what information I got. He gave me some really useful tidbits, like:

- it costs about $30,000 to start up, and floor fees are about $2,500 per month
- I should go before 33-34, as when you get too old, tutors may be reluctant to take you on for fear that you may be hard to train or just difficult to deal with
- expect your first year to have no business

He actually bagged out GS when I mentioned him as a possible tutor for myself. I'm not sure if GB talked in his ear, or if GS has lost the plot since his divorce.

I wasn't really sure what to expect or how I'd react to meeting with Daniel, but afterwards I was really excited about trying out for the bar. I figured even if I failed, at least I could say I had a go. Although finding a job after that might be hard.

While we were eating I was mentally calculating the number of plates we were having to see if my $50 could cover it. When it came time to pay, there was the obligatory fighting over it, although I sensed he may not have had the funds to pay, given his talk about financial struggles at the bar, and how he pulled out a card. In the end he allowed me to pay, which I was glad for. The total was a bit less than $40, so given I had expected $50, I was pretty happy about everything.

After work I stayed back wrapping up presents for people, and then walked to the station with Genie.

No game tomorrow as the Sonics forfeited.

Oh, looks like Erica is really coming back this time. I was texting her earlier and she is packing now. I asked when she starts work and she said she's not sure. I said we could go to dinner if she's free on Friday but she just replied with a "eating, full" emoticon. Whatever that means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home