Name:
Location: Australia

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 6 post surgery

Man, waking up today my knee felt like shit! It was so locked up it wasn't funny. I felt like I needed to walk a long distance to walk it off, but after the morning sets of rehab exercises it felt a bit better.

After breakfast and showering, I decided to go out for a walk. I felt like I really needed it. It was looking gloomy, but I was determined to get out there before it rained. I knew that if I didn't go before it rained then I would regret it.

I got changed and headed down and out on my crutches. I didn't want to cross any roads so I went around the block behind my house. But when I got just past the stairs behind my house, it started raining. I stood there for a few moments trying to think whether I should continue on, but then turned around and headed back home. The stairs down were a bit hard given the rain and wet railings, but I made it. By the time I got back to my gate, I told myself how it was worth it even though I didn't get to walk the whole block. Just going out and getting some sun and fresh air made everything worthwhile.

After that I found out that I didn't really need the crutches around home anymore. Sure, I hobbled, but my balance was now much better. I think all I need is a walking stick now, instead of two crutches. At one stage, my cat was walking in front of me, and I felt like chasing it. My knee wouldn't let me, but my mind was confident. That, my friend, was a sign of change.

I am still somewhat worried about my inability to straighten my leg fully, but I guess it just takes time.

Also, after sitting down for a long time, it still feels like it's locked up/frozen again. I guess the hardest times are when I go to sleep (because I try to straighten my leg) and when I wake up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home